Friday, April 14, 2017

Latitude Zero #AtoZChallenge


"With the possible exception of the equator, everything begins somewhere."
-- C. S. Lewis

I expected to see big signs the first time we drove across latitude zero. Not Las Vegas big but tourist photo spot big. I thought we might have a countdown as we approached.
We were northbound from the southern hemisphere traveling along a coastal road. The GPS told us we had crossed into the northern hemisphere but there were no signs. Except for one in front of a home at latitude .007.
Sign in front says Latitud .007
Mr. Bond was not home
We spent a few hours exploring then turned around to head home. Driving south, we finally saw a sign!
My first time at the equator
"You are passing the equatorial line"
It was exciting to be standing at the equator. Some day, we will probably visit the big Middle of the World monument near Quito where you can balance an egg on a nail. 

For us, it was enough to know we crossed it. And a sign confirming it was nice.

Have you crossed the equator? If you have, was there a sign?

If you are visiting from the #AtoZChallenge please include your blog link in a comment so I can check it out.

16 comments:

  1. No signs as I was in the air--to and from Indonesia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son crossed the equator on a U.S. navy ship. He has a certificate!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cool! I read that there is sometimes a ceremony when ships cross the equator. A certificate would be fantastic.

      Delete
  3. I've heard that drain water flows in a different direction north and south of the equator...did you happen to notice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is true. One of the experiments I did shortly after we arrived.

      Delete
  4. I have never crossed the equator. One day though and there better be a sign. :)

    Once Upon a Time

    ReplyDelete
  5. What fun! We never managed that...maybe some day.

    L: Las Vegas & Leesburg
    DB McNicol, author & traveler
    Theme: Oh, the places we will go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you come back for a visit, the entire Ruta del Sol is a beautiful road trip!

      Delete
  6. Hi Emily - I haven't seen a sign ... only a cloud or a dozen ... as I flew to South Africa on occasions ... I've seen a few watershed signs ... but it's rather nice it's understated ... and I bet that trip to Quito will be fascinating - in due time .. .cheers Hilary

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/m-is-for-melton-mowbray-market-national.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most people see clouds rather than a road sign when they cross the equator. Yes, understated was rather nice.

      Delete